Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Boxob Redux

http://www.box.com/s/xrvotktdsd4ns19h2hj1


 


Boxob was a puzzle game I made a while ago. It was based on a puzzle in a temple in The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons in which switches slid a row of statues, and you had to line the statues up with the pattern on the floor.

From making Boxob I learned that A puzzle game is probably one of the easiest genres of games to program, but the hardest to balance the difficulty curve of. Puzzle games also present the unique dilemma of originality-- that is, a puzzle game is really nothing without an incredibly original concept; the execution is almost secondary.

I found that boxob by nature was very hard to design tutorials for, and everyone who I had play it said it was too difficult. Even after remaking all the levels and dubbing it "Boxob Redux," I got the same feedback. I will say however that it is a very mentally stimulating game, and even I play it from time to time when I'm craving a challenge!

~Armando Alemán

No comments:

Post a Comment